haitian school children

haitian school children

Saturday, May 16, 2015

FINDING ALEXANDRE: a report on accompaniment


by Nancye Mims

 “You have to write a blog about finding Alexandre,” says Dr. Linda, as we walk into the Hopital St. Croix guesthouse after Thursday’s clinic in Trouin. I say “yes, of course, I plan to,” but I know that the words will be slow to come.

After a year of tracking down this child, hundreds of e-mails with providers, clergy, and volunteers, phone calls with a driver and a close, but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to have him seen by an ophthalmologist, we have found Alexandre.

Last March, 2014, on a Thursday, second-to-last day of our medical mission, an adorable five-year old, with a sweet smile, greeted us as we arrived in the mountain village of Trouin, pronounced “Twen.” When we stepped out of our vehicle, he was right there chewing on an old plastic bottle. We noticed immediately that his eyes were crossed; it was unclear how well he could see. I asked him his name, “Kijan ou rele?” “Alexandre,” he replied

Various team members spent time with him that day, and though I was tucked away in the pharmacy, I couldn’t get him off my mind.  Having seen a lot of poverty and suffering that week, his relatively minor condition hit me hard. How could something so easily and routinely fixed in the United States, go untreated in Haiti? As we left that afternoon, we were told he could not go to school because of his crossed eyes.

On the ride home, I was at first filled with grief, but then as we descended the mountain I began to feel determination welling up inside me. 

Colleagues and family say I am stubborn, determined, and just plain hard headed. Most recently my supervisor, described this quality euphemistically as “tenacious.” When it comes to the well being of family and friends, I don’t like to take “no” for an answer. So, right then and there, on that Thursday evening in March of 2014, I knew that I could not and would not let this stand.

By April, I found my way to an ophthalmology organization that treats people in the developing world, including Haiti. The doctor was willing to see Alexandre next time she was there, but connecting them would prove difficult, given that we did not know his last name or anyone in the village who might help us reach him.

After many e-mails, my big break came in October, when I was connected with another Episcopal group that works in Trouin. Among the contacts suggested was the priest at St. Marc’s. Then, bingo, in one e-mail everything changed. “I know him,” was the first thing I heard from Pere Jois Goursse.  More e-mails ensued, and Pere Goursse was reaching out to Alexandre’s mother.  Suddenly there was hope of having him seen in November.

I called our favorite driver in Haiti, Mr. Zo Chery, and conversations began about where to take Alexandre – Fond des Blancs, or Mirebelais? There was a major complication, though. Alexandre’s mother was expecting a baby any day and could not travel with him.

More e-mails and talk of taking Alexandre to Port Au Prince where Dr. Chandra would be working for a few days. In the end, it was too much. We decided to wait for the new baby and his mother’s recovery.

By January, we had another chance of having him seen by Dr. Chandra, but again we could not connect all the dots. Alexandre’s mother was not fully recovered from the birth of her third child, and Dr. Chandra’s schedule proved tricky as well. Then her trip was postponed. We would wait for another visit in February, which was again delayed until March. By the time I arrived in Haiti on March 7, 2015, her trip was on hold.

Meanwhile, I had plans to visit with Pere Goursse. He came to Hopital St. Croix on Wednesday, on his way to Port Au Prince. Those of us who had worked at the school that day -- Nick Candee, Carol Hokana, Barbara and Elizabeth Foot -- had a chance to sit with him and learn more about Alexandre’s village.

On Thursday we headed back to Trouin. I was at peace. Coming this far already seemed like a miracle. Maybe we would see Alexandre, but anything could happen. In my heart, I knew we were close, and regardless of what transpired we would connect him with medical care eventually.

Thursday, March 12, 2015:

Our medical mission sets up shop in an area just beyond where we were in 2014.  I have an eye out for Alexandre and his mother, but by noon there’s no sign of them.

Around that time, Carol Hokana comes to me and says “Linda says we should take a walk into town for lunch. Let’s go and try to find Alexandre.” I’m on board. Victor, our wonderful translator is with us. We arrive in the center of Trouin, and start asking for Alexandre. At first people say they don’t know him. Are they protecting him and his family from prying “blancs,” or foreigners?  I wonder.

Then one person says the family moved to Jacmel. I know enough to be suspicious of that. We are told to inquire at the school office. We start asking questions, describing who we are looking for. One question leads to another. Several people are sent out to look for Alexandre. Before we know it, he comes bounding into the office.  I can’t believe my eyes. We descend on him. “Zanmi mwen,” “My friend,” I say. There is laughter and celebration. He is taller and his front teeth are missing, but it is Alexandre. He is still wearing oversized crocs, perhaps the same ones he had on last year.

We ask him to take us to his mother. He darts off but we are following close behind; she appears and I start explaining through Victor, who I am -- the lady who has been talking with Pere Goursse. A woman close by calls out to Alexandre’s mother that we should take that beautiful baby of hers to our medical clinic. We head out, baby Georgina, toddler Claudia, and Alexandre in tow. His mother walks quickly, outpacing us all.

My heart sings. But then Alexandre nearly steps in front of a speeding motorcycle. I grab his hand, and he walks with me -- as if we have known each other for a long time.

From the beginning I have cared deeply for this child, but in the process of looking for him and trying to arrange care, I have sometimes wondered if we would ever connect him to a doctor who can help. Are we doing the right thing? Will we ultimately disappoint his family?

Then I tell myself there was never any guarantee that we would identify, much less find him in person; progress is slow but steady. “Pitit pitit n’arrive,” Little by little we get there. I am living this Haitian proverb. On this day, I know that I cannot give up; I will continue to fight for him.

On our way back to the clinic, Carol carries the baby. I have Alexandre by the hand, and his mother is ahead of us with the toddler, Claudia. My heart is bursting at the seams. We walk into the church where we are seeing patients, and my eyes meet Dr. Linda’s.

I am in a joyful state of awe. Is this really happening? If I close my eyes will Alexandre and his family disappear? I stay close by, never letting them out of my sight.

All members of the family are seen at the clinic. Alexandre’s mother seems comfortable one minute and perplexed the next. I don’t blame her; this must be a shock. I marvel at her trust.

While we wait for medications, I sit with Alexandre.  He is a typical six-year-old, antsy and interested in all that surrounds us. Occasionally while we wait, he disappears. I go in search of him, mildly panicked at the thought of losing him; he is easily found -- once outside the front door, another time down in the school.

At one point I give him my cell phone to keep him busy and sitting still. He is thrilled. After I get him off the emergency phone number app, he goes to iTunes and is giggling as Cat Stevens croons “Moon shadow, moon shadow... “ Next Alexandre flips through my photo stream and lets out a gleeful shriek when he comes upon a picture of Bill Saunders holding up a big orange drink at the Arowak Hotel.

Medications are readied at last; it’s time for Alexandre and family to go home. Carol, Victor, and I walk them back down the road. I insert some money into the family’s medicine bag. Carol tells his mom, she is a good mother. She smiles from ear-to-ear and is, finally, completely at ease. I tell her that Father Goursse will soon be in touch about next steps. She seems to understand and heads off down the road toward home.

Victor, Carol, and I turn around and go back to the clinic. I am stupefied. Can this really have happened? My love for this child is intense, unlike anything I have ever experienced for someone who is not a member of my family. But in that moment, and indeed for a long time, I have no words to describe what I feel.

In the following days, talks continue about next steps for Alexandre. Before we leave Leogane on Saturday morning, I meet the wife of a local pediatrician and we learn that there is now an ophthalmologist at Hopital St. Croix.

Now it seems there is a good chance that Alexandre will be seen very soon by the pediatrician and the eye doctor, probably in the next few weeks.*

But this is Haiti, and I know that things can change. What looks easy and straightforward one day can slip away the next. By now, though, we have lots of contacts and relationships, and I have other ideas if this falls through. I know I won’t stop until we can get something done for this child.

END


*I learned a week ago that the ophthalmologist who visits Hopital St. Croix is embroiled in a contract dispute and is not expected to see patients there for the indefinite future. Other leads are in play. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment